Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The good, the bad and the crunchy

In a perfect world, beautiful designs would just pour out of my squeeze bottles onto my cookies...all the time.  In reality, I mess up...a lot.  That's why I make a couple of extra cookies with each order.  I almost always mess up at least one cookie.  I never post about it because the end result seems to turn out nice, and no one knows about the few "oops" cookies! 

Well, I have to post about a big order "oops" that happened recently.  One of my good friends (and really, if I had to mess up, I'm glad it was for a friend so we can both laugh about it now) placed an order for Cub Scouts cookies.  She really liked the Chocolate Chip Roll-Out Cookies I did back in December, so she asked if I could make them instead of my normal vanilla sugar cookies.  Sure, no problem. 

I also took this time to try out my new airbrush machine.  My friend needed some filler cookies to go along with the Cub Scout logo cookies, so I had an idea in my head that I wanted to try...and she's my friend, so I wanted to make them super cool with my awesome airbrush machine that I have never tried.  I probably should have gotten a few airbrushed cookies under my belt before I did this...but I digress...

The Cub Scout logo was pretty difficult.  I just couldn't seem to have a vision of how the layers of icing should work.  And for some reason, the blue airbrush coloring didn't dry as evenly as the gold did.  So, for my perfectionist self, they didn't live up to my standards...I was not happy.  Okay (holding my breath)...here they are:

 
I love my friend.  She still said they were awesome, even though I KNOW she's seen better from me.  I felt a little better, until...
 
I got a text from her that the cookies were a bit "hard".  Well, "a bit" is an understatement.  I don't know what happened.  The cookies tasted fine without the icing, but sometime after I iced them they made a turn for the worse.  She was already at the Cub Scout event,  where all of the parents and kids had an opportunity to try the cookies.  I was so upset!  She told me that one kid went over to his mom with a tiger cookie and said, "Look how cool!!  You can eat it, but be careful not to break a tooth"!
 
Ugh.  Epic fail.  Well, at least we can laugh about it now.  And the chocolate chip cookies are out until I can figure out what happened!!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this blog! I am "that friend" that had to decide do I tell her the cookies had an issue and risk offending her skills, or just say thanks for the cookies and forget it happened. Clearly I did tell her because I wanted cookies for my son's birthday and needed them to not break any teeth. LOL! This weekend we had a successful party with PERFECT cookies! I confess that until I did a taste test prior to the party i was so scared of the rock hard cookies. Luckily they tasted just as good as they looked. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete