Thursday, December 13, 2012

Monkey Madness

I can now breathe a sigh of relief because my monkey cookies will be delivered tomorrow!


I made these "Julius inspired" cookies for one of our family members for his birthday favors.  He loves Julius and I love a challenge, so we had a perfect combination!

I was really nervous about getting the shape of the face right, so I didn't want to ice the face directly onto the cookie.  I decided to print out the image and trace it directly onto parchment paper.  That worked great, UNTIL...

I realized that I couldn't see the lovely details of the face because I iced over them!  Crap.  Well, at least I got the outer shape iced out.  I let it dry and then started the tedious process of peeling them from the parchment paper (I made 6 extra, just in case).  There's an awesome video I came across from One Tough Cookie on youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8cwHFXWRvY
This helped me immensely...only one face broke! 

The other issue I had was that the underside of the faces didn't dry flat.  I guess the parchment paper rippled slightly while drying, so when I added the faces to the cookies, they didn't lay completely flat on the cookie.  And now insert me freaking out.  What if I add the face details and the whole thing cracks?  I can't possibly put this fragile cookie into a cellophane baggie...it will immediately break!  So I locked myself in the closet and ate chocolate calmed down and started thinking about alternate packaging ideas.  A.C. Moore is my reliable craft store...I found some small, white boxes with a window...perfect for individual cookies!


After settling the cookies in their boxes, I just used some scrapbooking paper I had in stock and dressed up the box a bit.  They're off to be delivered tomorrow to our cousin.

Happy Birthday Robert!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment