Thursday, January 16, 2014

Gingerbread Roll-Out Cookies

WARNING:  These cookies are SUPER-addicting. 

I wanted one other recipe to experiment with, and I came across Sugarbelle's Gingerbread cookie recipe.  Just by looking at it, I knew it would be a bit more time-consuming than the other roll-outs I had tried.  More ingredients and a longer chill time...BUT, for the love of gingerbread, I thought I'd give it a try.


It may take longer to make these babies, but there is more dough per batch!  I ended up using almost 6 cups of flour, vs. the 3 cups I use for one batch of sugar cookies.  I ended up making gingerbread men and women, as well as ornament shapes (of course, I forgot to take photos of those!).  I agree with Sugarbelle when she says that minimal royal icing decorating is best...keeps the gingerbread flavor dominant.  With the ornaments, I did a simple lace pattern.

As with the other flavored cookies, timing is key...especially for these guys.  My first two trays looked done, but when they started to cool, they caved and turned a dark brown.  Definitely undercooked.  I let my second set stay in until the edges "just" turned a little brown, and it was overcooked (I didn't mind because I like crunchy gingerbread).  I finally got it right with the third set...and they were so popular, I was asked to make another batch of them!

I don't know if I'll be able to wait until next Christmas to make these...

No comments:

Post a Comment