Sunday, January 13, 2013

Kopykake creations - take one

Remember these guys?

 
Yesterday I was super productive and spent the afternoon decorating cookies with my new Kopykake Projector!!  I'm glad I did because today I'm sick (it's about time, since everyone else in my house has had some kind of illness since New Year's!!!). 
 
The projector was easy to work with, but it will definitely take some practice before I'm completely happy with my tracing.  I quickly found that I had two problems, the first being my piping consistency for tracing.  This is something I can't seem to master yet.  I think it needed to be a bit thicker...practice makes perfect, right?! 
 
The other problem was that I was trying to do too many things (so what's new).  I had so many little designs I wanted to try, which means too many colors and a brain overload with how to layer the designs onto the cookie.  For example...
 

 
It too me a good 20 minutes to figure out what to outline first and how many layers I wanted to build upon this cookie.  I ended up tracing the basic outline of the face and hat (sorry, next time I will take progressive photos).  I filled that with color, then layered the eyes, eyebrows and mustache.  Lastly, I added the brim to the hat, the "M" and the nose.  Now that I understand how to do it, next time will be easier!
 
Besides experimenting with some nostalgic characters, I also tried out some other fun stuff...
 
This cutie here...
 
 

 
Maybe a Valentine's Owl?
 

 
How about some spring cookies?
 

 
I hope you enjoyed my first attempts!  I can't wait to try some more designs!  I think my favorite is the spring bunny.  Which ones do you like??

 

4 comments:

  1. Leslie the cookies look great! I love the one of the puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dominika!!! Someone actually just ordered a bunch of the puppies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really great!! I love reading your blog, all your cookies always come out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gwen!!! It's been a great experience so far!!

    ReplyDelete